Sunday, March 23, 2008

Special Request

When you gave me the camera, you told me that you wanted me to take pictures of the places we saw together. The places that made us stop and not look away because they made us feel like we were witnessing a miracle. I remember holding your hand whether we were on the bus or riding the car and drawing your attention to the way the light hit the water or the orange-grays of the sunset.



Ours was not a complicated relationship. You knew what you wanted and so did I. But we wanted to make a go of it despite the obstacles. Remember Yvonne told us point-blank that she was giving us six months - that was in 2004, yet here we are. I'm glad you liked the flowers I sent you to celebrate our 46th monthsary. I guess we proved Yvonne wrong - as well as your "blood" relative and Papsi who told me that he thought I wasn't meant for you. But I remember I told him that I'll be with you as long as you wanted me.

I know I can't offer you anything that you've been used to before - I live simply and intend to continue doing so but I love you so much that if I can get you anything within my means, I would get it for you because I know it would make you happy. I mean, I'll learn how to make virgin coconut oil so you'll always have an emollient to make your skin perpetually smooth. Even in Marinduque or some other island where we'll settle eventually and raise kids.


The life I offer is different from the one you've always wanted. But all I have and all I have yet to gain is yours.
Yes, you'll have all the lotion you'll need as long as you promise to be mine for always.
Yes, you can name the kids and I'll be the strict parent as long you promise that I have veto power when you want to outfit them.
Yes, you can watch your talent shows as long as we watch "SpongeBob Squarepants" re-runs.
And, yes, I promise to love you and wait. I love you, Eric.


No comments: